Friday, July 18, 2008

Inventory

Here's an update on my library. I still have not had the meeting about the floor plan. Hopefully it will happen next week. Instead I put my energy into completing an inventory of the entire library this week. God bless my mom and dad and even my son for their help! My dear dad spent two whole days, one without air, scanning books! (I love that he is retired now!) We needed to scan everything with a bar code so that certain "filters" could be turned off on the system. I was told that this would allow me to import new titles with the "next available bar code" instead of creating my own. I was really upset about the process at first and no air conditioning didn't help. However, after the inventory was complete I felt that I really got to see what was on the shelves. I made some notes about books to use for lessons, great authors that I didn't know we had and how many copies we had of certain subjects. I think the process of physically touching almost every book in the library was more valuable than looking at the titles from the computer screen. I was proud to have run the inventory by myself! All and all I was very pleased with the last three days. I have my librarian mentor coming on Tuesday to help set me up to import new titles. Ed from Follet is coming on Wednesday to help set me up to order books from Titlewave. Wow! I feel like I am making progress. I am giving myself Monday off!

No comments: